Sages of the New Covenant
According to 2011 census, 12.16 % of the people speak English in India, which means that there are 125,226,449, who speak English in India and among them, for 226,449, English is the First language.
More Indians speak English than any other language, with the sole exception of Hindi. What's more, English speakers in India outnumber those in all of western Europe, not counting the United Kingdom. And Indian English-speakers are more than twice the UK's population. India is certainly the world's second largest English speaking country after the USA (300 million - near 100 percent of US population). These people would hardly understand and appreciate Carnatic Music or Bhajans. Hence, while talking about Contextualization of Mission / Evangelism, we need to underscore the above truth.
The English songs have been uploaded for the benefit of the Christians, who have been born and brought-up under the influence of English language and to all those who are attached to the Christian Ashram in US and elsewhere.
The symphony, concerto, sonata, opera and oratorio have their origins in Italy. Many important musical instruments used by cultures all over the world were also developed in the West; among them are the violin, piano, pipe organ, saxophone, trombone, clarinet, and the theremin. The solo piano, symphony orchestra and the string quartet are also important performing musical forms.
Many forms of popular music have been derived from African-Americans, and their innovations of jazz and blues serve as the basis from which much of modern popular music was derived. Folklore and music during 20th and 19th centuries, initially by themselves, but later played and further developed together with Caucasian & African Americans, British people, and Westerners in general. These include jazz, blues and rock music (that in a wider sense include the rock and roll and heavy metal genres), rhythm and blues, funk, Hip-Hop, techno as well as the ska and reggae genres from Jamaica. Several other related or derived styles were developed and introduced by Western pop culture such as pop, metal and dance music.
Other well-known Western musical genres include the music played by Mexican mariachis, the Argentine and Uruguayan tango, North American jazz and Brazilian bossa nova.
1. India, often called the land of diversity, is similar to the entire European continent. Each state of India, almost the size of a European country, has its own culture and its own language. Each Indian language is distinctly different from another. Most Indian languages have their own script — the scripts are distinctly different as well. As a matter of fact, out of total of 25 scripts invented on this planet by the mankind, 10 are from India. For an Indian person traveling to another state in India, it is like going to a foreign country — the local language is not yours.
2. De facto, English is the "common" language among most educated Indians today. When two Indians from different states meet, they invariably communicate with each other in English.
3. English is the language of all businesses, government and education.
4. The entire university education in India is in English — very similar to what you find in the USA.
5. Every computer user in India uses Microsoft Windows — English-edition. Microsoft has provided support for Indian languages only from Windows Vista released in 2006 and not even 1 percent of all computer users in India use Indian languages for computers. All emailing within India is in English.
1. In every major city of India, the cable TV has at least 25 English channels. There are many Indian English channels and others are the American/Western channels.
2. The Times of India, an English language daily newspaper in India, is officially the world's largest selling English language daily newspaper.
3. Besides the outsourcing to India of their business processes, now some Bollywood (India's Hollywood in Mumbai) enterprises are doing outsourced work for their Hollywood counterparts.
1. Not every person in India can speak English. In urban areas, a higher percentage of people speak English while in the rural agrarian areas very few people speak English.
2. 54 percent of India's population is less than 25 years of age — that’s a whopping 550 million young Indians. Among young Indians, the percent of English literacy is much higher. English skills are a must to get an entry into corporate India.
3. In India, English skills are part of the social hierarchy. Practically every person in the higher and upper middle class section of the Indian society is fluent in English. In fact, English fluency is kind of a pre-requisite for the upward mobility in the class ladder. An upwardly mobile successful Indian entrepreneur with inadequate English skills is not considered blue-blooded enough and is persona non-grata at the turf clubs or country clubs of India. A classic example is the detente between the power-flexing non-English speaking Indian politicians and the English-speaking movers and shakers from Indian bureaucracy and the industrial clans.
Copyright 2012 - 2015 Sages of the New Covenant. All rights reserved.
Sages of the New Covenant